Director of Student Life
|Title:||Director of Student Life|
DescriptionAXL Academy Job Posting
Director of Student Life
AXL is a college preparatory charter school in Aurora, CO, preparing students prekindergarten through 8th grade to create their own futures. Our urban school community is diverse ethnically, linguistically, and socio-economically. In 2013-14, AXL will have 700 students across ten grades.
AXL delivers high academic achievement, character growth and equity for all learners through an active pedagogy (Expeditionary Learning) and a strong school culture. Students are organized into single-gender divisions and loop for 2 years with their teacher. We operate on an 11-month calendar.
The Director of Student Life drives AXL’s student-centered culture of challenge and support that ensures that all students succeed at AXL. The Director works closely with the Director of Curriculum & Instruction, the school counselor and teachers to nurture a school culture that reflects our student-centered approach to learning and discipline, and that focuses on logical consequences and restorative practices to promote personal accountability in a warm, safe and engaging learning environment.
Specifically, the Director of Student Life:
· Coordinates weekly community meetings and schoolwide traditions that build community and celebrate achievement
· Implements and oversees effective and consistent student discipline system
· Collaborates with AXL’s Identity Teacher to teach students how to resolve conflict, advocate for themselves, and practice justice and compassion in our community
· Supports teachers in establishing and maintaining consistent, student-centered routines in the classroom
· Provides behavioral supports for high-needs students such as observations, push-in support, parent conferences and home visits, behavior plans, and intervention groups
· Participates in grade level team meetings to plan and provide support for individual students and their families
· Supports crew leaders and teacher in promoting attendance and on-time arrival
· Collects and analyzes student and school data to improve outcomes (attendance, attrition, discipline, parent engagement, parent and student satisfaction, etc.)
· Manages before and after-school programming and enrichment activities
· Develops constructive and respectful relationships with students’ families and help others do so
· Demonstrate proven leadership and student engagement skills in an urban school setting
· Have 2+ years as lead teacher, social worker, school counselor, assistant principal or similar role working with middle schoolers from diverse economic and cultural backgrounds
· Maintain an unyielding commitment to students’ learning: No limits, no excuses
· Offer maturity and proven effectiveness motivating others, problem-solving and remaining professional and positive in emotional and stressful situations
· Manage time and tasks efficiently
· Thrive in a diverse, intellectually challenging, entrepreneurial environment
· Boast an unfailing sense of humor
· Speak Spanish and English
· Inspire pride among AXL’s many cultures
· Hold an advanced degree in Education or specialty field (Child Psychology, Social Work, Curriculum & Instruction, Educational Leadership, etc.)
COMPENSATION & DEVELOPMENT
· Competitive Salary
· Medical benefits
· PERA retirement benefits
· Weekly professional development
· Annual evaluations of teaching performance are performed by AXL’s Director of Curriculum & Instruction using authentic measures of student performance and character growth, attendance, attrition, behavior, peer reviews, parent and student satisfaction, etc.
Apply online at www.axlacademy.org/employment.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications